All Majors Are Welcome
Memberships are by invitation only. Eligibility is based on the following requirements:
- You must transfer to a four year institution of higher learning from another academic institution with at least one full years’ academic credits satisfied at the prior institution(s).
- You must be registered in a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree for an amount of work equal to an average full load (usually 12 to 15 hours - however, the definition of a full load is left to the discretion of each institution). Questions regarding eligibility arising from exceptional circumstances affecting an individual student must be referred to the National Headquarters for a decision.
- Membership in the Organization shall be based upon superior academic achievement by students during their first term in the institution to which they transfer (only credit hours that count toward a bachelor's degree can be used to determine Tau Sigma eligibility).
- The minimum academic average required for membership is either a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent thereof) or an academic average that places the prospective candidate in the top 20% of all incoming transfer students during the term in question. These requirements are not subject to reduction by an individual chapter (qualifications using unconventional grading systems shall be approved by the National Council). A chapter may petition to the National Council to raise the minimum academic average required for membership in their chapter.
- Academic eligibility shall be obtained on the grades of one full curricular period, i.e., semester, trimester, quarter, or term. Eligibility is limited to the first term of enrollment at the institution to which the student transfers. Summer school session equivalent to a full curricular period may be used to meet the academic requirement.
- Questions of interpretation or adjustments pertaining to eligibility should be referred to the National Headquarters.