Monday, October 02, 2017
Career Fair brings employment, internship opportunities together in one place
OSU-Tulsa Career Fair | 3:30-6 p.m. | Main Hall Commons
Doing your homework before a career fair can increase the chances of finding potential employment or internship opportunities.
Here are some tips to set yourself up for success for tomorrow’s OSU-Tulsa Career Fair:
- Review the list of participating employers in the career fair to find out what organizations will be there, what they are looking for in potential employees and to find out some basic background information so you can ask relevant questions.
- Dress as if you are going in for an interview. People who dress professionally in business casual attire are more likely to make a good first impression.
- Bring numerous copies of your résumé to leave with employers to help them remember you later.
- Plan adequate time to make the rounds among the employers you are interested in.
- Introduce yourself and prepare a short introduction about your career goals. Discuss academic and extracurricular activities that may demonstrate your abilities.
- Bring a notebook to write down names and phone numbers of staff you may be referred to for additional job information and the dates and times of employer hiring events or information sessions.
- Ask for business cards so that you can follow up your visit with a thank-you note via email. It is professional and can make you stand out in the recruiter’s mind.
- Be respectful of employer representatives as well as other students participating in the event. Courtesy and a positive attitude are qualities organizations seek in potential employees.
Make an appointment with Career Services Coordinator Jessica Bradley for a review of your résumé. In addition, free résumé paper and a professional portfolio for $5 are available in North Hall 130.
For more information about the career fair, email Bradley or call her at 918-594-8404. To learn about additional events, visit the OSU-Tulsa Career Services website.
Watch OSU-Tulsa Career Services Staff Share Their Resume Hacks in this Video